Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hawks, Eagles and Kites :: Crane Hawk
Crane Hawk Geranospiza caerulescens
Described by: Vieillot (1817)
Alternate common name(s): Black Crane-Hawk, Blackish Crane-Hawk, Gray Crane-Hawk, Grey Crane-Hawk, Banded Crane-Hawk
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeNw. Mexico; C. Mexico to nw., c. and se. South America;
(1) Nw. Mexico (Sonora and Sinaloa).
(2) Mexico (Tamaulipas) s. to c. Panama (Canal Zone).
(3) E. Panama from the Canal Zone along the Pacific slope of w. Colombia, w. Ecuador to nw. Peru (Tumbes and Lambayeque).
(4) E. slope of n. Colombia (Cauca Valley and Magdalena Valley e. to w. Guajira and e. of the Andes), e. Ecuador and e. Peru (Loreto, Madre de Dios) e. to Venezuela, Guyana, Surinam, Guiana and Amazonian Brazil.
(5) Ne. Brazil (Maranhao, Ceara and Piaui to c. Goias and Bahia).
(6) S. Brazil (s. Goias, Maranhao, Paraiba and Bahia (Chapada Diamantina) s. to s. Minas Gerais, Rio de Janeiro and Mato Grosso), n. and e. Bolivia (Pando, Beni, Santa Cruz, Chuquisaca, Tarija), Paraguay (Chaco), Uruguay to nc. Argentina s. to La Rioja, Cordoba and n. Buenos Aires.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.