Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Typical Owls :: Brown Wood-Owl
Brown Wood-Owl Strix leptogrammica
Described by: Temminck (1831)
Alternate common name(s): Brown Wood Owl, Bartel's Wood Owl, Bartel's Wood-Owl, Himalayan Wood Owl, Himalayan Wood-Owl, Himalayan Brown Owl, Malaysian Wood Owl, Malaysian Wood-Owl
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 1 more images.
RangeS. India, s. Asia and the Greater Sundas;
At least five populations;
(1) Himalayas from nw. India (Jammu and Kashmir) e. to ne. India.
(2) N. and c. Burma, n. and w. Thailand, n. Cambodia (Chhep District of Preah Vihear Province) to se. China ne. to Anhui, n. Laos and n. Vietnam.
(3) Hainan and Taiwan.
(4) S. Laos and c. Vietnam (Annam).
(5) Peninsular India.
(6) C. India.
(7) Sri Lanka.
(8) S. Burma, s. Thailand and Malay Peninsula.
(9) Sumatra. Birds reported from Mentawai Is. are probably of this race.
(10) Banyak Is. off w. Sumatra.
(11) Nias Is. off w. Sumatra.
(12) Belitung Is. off se. Sumatra.
(13) N. Borneo.
(14) S. and c. Borneo.
(15) W. and c. Java.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.