Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Nightjars and Allies :: Swamp Nightjar
Swamp Nightjar Caprimulgus natalensis
Described by: Smith, A. (1845)
Alternate common name(s): White-tailed Nightjar, Natal Nightjar, African White-tailed Nightjar
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
RangeAfrica s. of the Sahara;
Highly fragmented distribution:
(1) Senegambia, cs. Mali, Guinea, Sierra Leone, Liberia, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin and Nigeria to w. Cameroon.
(2) Sahel of Chad, Central African Republic, se. Sudan, n. Zaire, Uganda, w. Kenya and c. Tanzania.
(3) Wc. Africa in Cameroon, Gabon to c. Zaire.
(5) Zambia. N. Botswana and Zimbabwe?
(6) Ex. ne. Namibia (Caprivi Strip).
(7) Ex. s. Mozambique and e. South Africa (n. Natal).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.