Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Helmetshrikes :: White Helmetshrike
White Helmetshrike Prionops plumatus
Described by: Shaw (1809)
Alternate common name(s): White-crested Helmetshrike, Straight-crested Helmetshrike, Curly-crested Helmetshrike, Long-crested Helmetshrike, Common Helmetshrike, Southern Helmetshrike, Smith's Helmetshrike
Old scientific name(s): Prionops plumata
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Range(1) Senegambia, s. Mauritania, s. Mali, Burkin Faso, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea, Sierra Leone, s. Niger, Ivory Coast, Ghana, Togo, Benin, and Nigeria.
(2) Cameroon and s. Chad.
(3) Central African Republic, n. Zaire, s. Sudan, Uganda, Rwanda, and Burundi.
(4) E. and s. Ethiopia and se. Sudan.
(5) E. Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia.
(6) E. and c. Ethiopia, n. and e. Kenya.
(7) Sw. Uganda, s. Kenya, Tanzania, e. Zaire, Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, n. Namibia, n. and e. Botswana.
(8) E. Tanzania, e. Mozambique and ne. South Africa (Transvaal, Swaziland, and Natal).
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.