Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Herons, Egrets and Bitterns :: Striated Heron
Striated Heron Butorides striata
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Little Heron, Green-backed Heron, Little Green Heron, Little Mangrove Heron, Mangrove Heron, Galapagos Heron, Lava Heron, Green-backed Heron, Plumbeous Heron, Red Mangrove Heron, Red Mangrove-heron, Red Mangrove Bittern, Red Mangrove-bittern
Old scientific name(s): Ardeola striatus, Butorides striatus
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 10 more images.
RangeSouth America, Africa, Middle East, Oriental region, e. Western Palearctic and Australasian;
(1) C. and e. Panama, w. Colombia, Venezuela, Margarita Is., Trinidad, Guyana, Surinam, Guiana, Brazil (Bahia, Chapada Diamantina), Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru (banks of the Tambopata River, Madre de Dios, Puno), nw. Chile, Bolivia, Paraguay, Uruguay to c. Argentina.
(2) Galapagos Is.
(3) Africa s. of the Sahara from n. Kenya s. to Namibia and n. South Africa.
(4) Madagascar. Mascarene Is.
(5) N. Somalia and Red Sea coast n. to Egypt and s. Sinai to the Gulf of Aden and possibly in Oman and along the s. coast of Iran.
(6) Aldabra and Amirante Is.
(7) Comoro Is.
(9) Diego Garcia, Chagos and Maldive Is.
(10) Indian Subcontinent from Pakistan to India, Nepal, Sri Lanka and Laccadives.
(11) Burma, Thailand s. to the Greater Sundas (Sumatra, Java, Borneo) and the Mascarenes (Reunion, Mauritius and Rodrigues).
(12) Ne. China (Manchuria) to se. Siberia (s. Sakhalin Is.) s. to Shantung, Korea, Japan n. to n. Honshu, Ryukyu and Bonin Is.
(13) E. China and Hainan s. to n. Vietnam and n. Burma.
(14) Andaman and Nicobar Is. and is. off w. Sumatra.
(15) Taiwan, Philippines and Sulawesi.
(16) Lesser Sundas.
(18) Nw. New Guinea and Aru Is.
(19) Nc. New Guinea.
(20) Nw. Western Australia.
(21) Ne. Western Australia.
(22) Nc. Australia (Northern Territory and w. Queensland).
(23) Sc. New Guinea and ne. Queensland.
(24) E. Queensland s. in New South Wales to ex. ne. Victoria, New Caledonia and Loyalty Is.
(25) Melanesia from the Bismarck Archipelago (New Hanover) and the Solomon Is. to w. Fiji.
(26) Tahiti, Society Is.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.