Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Terns :: Great Crested Tern
Great Crested Tern Sterna bergii
Described by: Lichtenstein (1823)
Alternate common name(s): Swift Tern, Greater Crested Tern, Great Crested-tern, Greater Crested-tern, Crested Tern
Old scientific name(s): Thalasseus bergii
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 4 more images.
RangeCoasts of the Red Sea, Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean to sw. Pacific Ocean;
(1) Ne. Africa along the Red Sea coast of Sudan, Eritrea and Djibouti to the Persian Gulf. Laccadive Is. Sri Lanka.
(2) Coast of s. Africa from Namibia to South Africa from Walvis Bay e. to Natal. Disperses along the coast of s. Africa to s. Mozambique.
(3) Seychelles, Aldabra and Mascarene Is. (Rodriguez Is.).
(4) Se. Asia in se. China, Malaysia to the Philippines, Ryukyu Is., Bonin Is., Taiwan, e. Australia (Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia), Tasmania and is. in the sw. Pacific Ocean to Micronesia, Kiribati and Society Is. s. to Polynesia and e. to Tuamotu.
(5) W. and nw. Australia (Western Australia, Northern Territory).
(6) Zambezi Delta possibly breeding on is. off of Mozambique and Madagascar. Possibly breeding along the Indian Ocean coasts of Kenya, Tanzania, Zanzibar and Pemba Is.
No videos are available for this species
Location unknown - Date unknown Source: Australian Broadcasting Corporation
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.