Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Hummingbirds :: Blue-tailed Emerald
Blue-tailed Emerald Chlorostilbon mellisugus
Described by: Linnaeus (1758)
Alternate common name(s): Green Emerald, Simon's Emerald, Red-billed Emerald, West Andean Emerald, Western Emerald
Old scientific name(s): Chlorostilbon prasinus
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 7 more images.
RangeN. and w. South America;
(1) Surinam, Guiana and ne. Brazil in the lower Amazon Valley.
(2) E. and s. Venezuela, Guyana and nw. Brazil (Rio Branco).
(3) S. Venezuela (Mt. Duida).
(4) Upper Amazonian Brazil and e. tributaries of the Amazon in Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia.
(5) E. Peru to e. Bolivia.
(6) C. Colombia (upper Magdelena Valley).
(7) N. Colombia from Cartagena to Santa Marta.
(8) Ne. Colombia and nw. Venezuela in the w. and n. Andes of Merida.
(9) Ne. Venezuela and is. off the coast including Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire, Margarita Is., and Trinidad.
(10) W. Colombia and w. Ecuador in the arid tropical and subtropical zones.
(11) W. Colombia in the upper subtropical zone, and w. and c. Ecuador extending into the temperate zone.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.