Mangoverde :: World Bird Guide :: Woodhoopoes :: Green Woodhoopoe
Green Woodhoopoe Phoeniculus purpureus
Described by: Miller, J. F. (1784)
Alternate common name(s): Green Wood Hoopoe, Red-billed Wood Hoopoe, Red-billed Woodhoopoe
Old scientific name(s): None known by website authors
Select thumbnail to view larger image - Place cursor over image for image information
Select additional thumbnail page to view 3 more images.
RangeAfrica s. of the Sahara;
(1) S. Mauritana, Senegambia, Guinea-Bissau, Guinea and Sierra Leone to Ghana.
(2) S. Mali, Burkina Faso, Ivory Coast, Togo, Benin, Nigeria, Cameroon, s. Chad and Central African Republic.
(3) N. Sudan, Ethiopia to e. Zaire.
(4) E. Uganda, Rwands, Burundi, Kenya, e. Zaire, Tanzania, Malawi, Mozambique to e. South Africa (Natal) and Zanzibar.
(5) S. Angola.
(6) C. and sw. s. Africa in Zambia, n. and e. Botswana, Zimbabwe and c. Namibia.
No videos are available for this species
No sounds are available for this species
Clements, James F. Birds of the World: A Checklist. Vista, CA: Ibis Publishing Company, 2000.
Comments/ErrorsPlease email with errors/comments on this page or to donate photos.
If there is no family list to the left, you may have arrived at this page from a direct link.
Please select "Mangoverde World Bird Guide" to view the entire bird site.